Vikas Gowda is the top Indian discus thrower. He finished 8th at the London 2012 Olympics and created history by becoming the first Indian ever to enter the finals of a throwing event in the Olympics. Vikas will be competing in his fourth Olympics at Rio 2016.
He also finished 7th at the World Championships in Russia (2013) and Daegu (2011). He won the Gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow 2014 and the Silver medal at the Asian Games 2014 in Incheon.
Born in Mysore, he grew up in Frederick, Maryland in the United States. His personal best is 66.28 meters, which is also a National Record, achieved in April 2012 in Oklahoma. He also finished a creditable seventh in the IAAF World Athletics Championships in Daegu in 2011.Thus, he became the first Indian male athlete ever to reach the finals of World Championships. He won a bronze medal at the New York Grand Prix 2012, becoming the first Indian ever to win a medal in the prestigious Diamond League. He won silver medal at the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi in 2010 and bronze medal at the Asian Games in China in 2010. He contested at the 2008 Beijing Olympics but failed to reach the finals after finishing 11th in the qualifiers, with a throw of 60.69 m.
His father Shiv Gowda coached the Indian Olympic Track and Field Team in 1988 at the Seoul Olympics. Vikas is currently majoring in Maths at the University of North Carolina. He has been a stellar athlete for them winning several titles and accolades at the college level (NCAA) and breaking several records in the process. He currently trains under 4 times World Champion John Godina at the World Throwing Center in Phoenix.
- Gold medalist, Commonwealth Games, Glasgow 2014
- Silver medalist, Asian Games, Incheon 2014
- 7th Place, London Olympics, 2012
- Bronze medalist, New York Grand Prix, 2012
- Gold medalist, Old Style Challenge, Oklahoma, USA, 2012. Broke his own National Record with a Personal Best of 66.28m
- National Record Holder (66.28m), 2012
- 7th Place, IAAF World Championships, Daegu, 2011
- Silver Medalist, 19th Asian Championships, Kobe, 2011
- Bronze Medalist, Asian Games, China, 2010
- Silver Medalist, Commonwealth Games, Delhi, 2010
- Silver Medalist, Asian Athletics Championship, Incheon, 2010
- Gold Medalist, Asian All Star Athletics Meet, New Delhi, 2010
- Indian National Record Holder in Discus Throw
- All American honors in the discus with a runner up performance at the NCAA Championships
- 5th in Shot Put and 6th in Discus at the Commonwealth Games, 2006
- 6th in Discus at the Asian Games, 2006
- Silver Medallist, Discus Throw at the Asian Championships, 2005
It’s time you played your part in creating future champions. We share the same passion. We want India to triumph. Come, become a part of OGQ. Come Join Us in our Quest for Gold.